Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hawk Eyes

The owl has approved me. That's the only explanation. After all, he and the hawk are next cage neighbors. He must have been telling the red-tailed hawk good things about me, because my first experience in the hawk's cage, he accepted the mice from my gloved hand.

The second time I entered his cage, he condescended to allow me to hold him, after bribing him with only 6 mice. The third time, he allowed me to stand face to face for at least fifteen minutes
(with only about a foot separating our two faces). Try staring down a red-tailed hawk sometime. It's awesome. I will always be the first to blink, but I know I won the staring contest because he allowed me to grab his jesses and leash him without first distracting him with a mouse.

Saturday afternoon, I will have the honor of displaying the red-tailed hawk at the NH Fish and Game's annual 'Discover Wild New Hampshire' day. For one hour, I will stand with the bird on my hand, answering questions from all interested spectators. I don't deserve such a privilege, but I am so thankful that God has allowed me such opportunities, none the less!

1 comment:

Her Harlequin said...

Are these birds yours, or are you working somewhere that has them?